How to Track Outbound Links in Google Analytics
Great! You have got visitors on your website, you can see they viewed several articles, but where did they go next?
Everyone wants to know why their visitors left their website and this might be for a number of reasons including:-
- Creating new content around the topics which your visitors go on to read on other sites
- Identifying influeners which could help promote your content further
- Identifying possible affiliate marketing opportunities
Whatever the reason, we can enable outbound link tracking really easily using the script below:-
Github Gist Placeholder
The code above checks to make sure the URL is not for the same domain you are looking at and records:-
- The domain of the URL into the
- The full URL itself into the
So now we can see which websites and pages we refer the most traffic to.
- November 2nd, 2015